For an allergic kid, spring can be an unpleasant time of year. Sneezing, wheezing, watery eyes, rashes and even stomach upset can interfere with their fun, just when the weather’s getting nice again. You may notice that your child seems low on energy, with dark circles under the eyes and nasal congestion that requires constant tissues. It’s tempting to reach for the strongest over-the-counter allergy medication you can find, but is that the best way? Here, we offer some natural solutions for your children’s allergies.
- Get rid of dust and other allergens in your home. Regularly clean the ducts in your house, and consider an air purifier to help keep your home allergen-free. If you have a child who is especially prone to allergies, it may be time to ditch the carpet, and if animal dander is an issue, make sure your pets get regular brushing and baths.
- Watch what they eat . Creating an allergy-reducing diet doesn’t just mean avoiding allergens. In fact, there are certain foods that can help your child fight allergies. Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, like cold water fish, walnuts, and flaxseeds, can help alleviate allergy symptoms. Pineapple and papaya have anti-inflammatory properties, and local honey can act as an allergy shot, offering protection against seasonal allergies brought on by pollen.
- Try a saline rinse . For upper respiratory allergies, try a saline spray or solution, sniffed up the nose and drained out through the mouth or nose, to flush out allergens and ease inflammation.
- Give folk remedies a shot. Some people swear by a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, mixed in a glass of water and consumed three times a day. Nettle tea is a natural antihistamine, astragalus, codonopsis, ginger, and medicinal mushrooms can balance the immune system, and cod liver oil provides fat-soluble vitamins for immune support. While not all folk remedies work for all people, there’s not much risk in giving them a shot.
- Look outside traditional medicine. Recent studies indicate that acupuncture, for example, can reduce allergy symptoms. Don’t worry if your child is afraid of needles- some acupuncture uses lasers or tuning forks instead. Homeopathic remedies for allergies are plentiful, and a quick trip to your local health food store will yield plenty of friendly advice on which ones to use.
With these natural remedies, you can help your children manage their allergies so they can just go back to being kids. At BounceU, we love kids! That’s why we’ve created the best private party place in the universe, where families and friends can get together and go a little wild. We specialize in creating stress-free, unique, and exhilarating parties that make your child feel like a VIP. Whether you’ve got a special event on the horizon or just want to come in for an Open Bounce, call us at (631) 777-5867 or visit our website to see what makes BounceU so special.